This is originally a non vegetarian recipe, I tried it with soya minced meat and the result was pretty ok! It does not taste like original one but still a good one!
It is quite easy the only trick is the sauce. It is prepared with a similar technique like in cretan pepper soup just a little bit more attention!
What do I need to buy?
250 – 300 gr soya minced meat
breadcrumbs (let’s say equivalent of 2 slices of bread)
half a glass of basmati or jasmine rice
parsley (half a bunch)
1 onion (grated)
1 medium size carrot (chopped ın cubes)
1 medium size potato (chopped in cubes)
(optional: half a glass of peas)
2 eggs (keep one yolk separate)
For the sauce
1 lemon juice
1 eggs yolk
How to make soya kofte balls?
1. First of all, mix soya minced meat, chopped parsley, washed rice, 1 egg, breadcrumbs, grated onion all together in a bowl and knead as you might do with a dough.
2. Then have a surface covered with some flour, spread some flour in your hands then begin making small balls in your palm. You should cover each ball with flour so they won’t split whilst cooking.
3. Then put one and half litres of water in a pan, once boiled, add the carrots, potatoes and peas then add the meat balls in it. It takes 15 – 20 minutes to cook I guess.
4. Making the sauce: Mix the lemon juice and the egg yolk in a bowl, then add one or two spoonful of the water you boiled then mix and whisk nicely, get them know about each other. By doing this, you are avoiding the egg yolk from cooking over heat.
5. Pour it slowly in each corner of you pan.
Let it simmer then serve warm. Enjoy!