I made this light lunch couple of days ago and since I made so much, it lasted for the following day as well. So, it serves 4. I forgot to take a picture but will replace the one above soon.
I suggest trying it with fine bulgur or even brown rice instead, it tastes good. Serve with any type of grilled meat or like I do, with halloumi. And a bit of salad.
What do I need?
1½ glasses of coarse bulgur wheat
2 or 2½ glasses of boiled water
1 large onion, chopped
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1½ green or red chilli peppers
1 finely chopped large courgette
1 tin of brown or green lentils, or soak your own
½ a bunch of fresh parsley, chopped (or use ¼ bunch of mint)
Black pepper and salt to taste
1. Fry the chopped onions and garlic until brown, then add the chopped chilli. But do not touch your eyes, like I did!
2. Whilst the onions and chillis are cooking, chop the courgettes in cubes then add them, stir well, over a medium hob.
3. Boil water in another sauce pan. Always boil more than you need and always have a sizing glass or cup. Mine is an old Nutella jar. This will be kept to one side, and added to the other mixture as you go.
4. Mix the bulgur wheat into the courgette mixture. Stir well, then add 2 cups of warm or boiling water. The water level should be just higher than the mixed veg and bulgur in the pan. Add the salt and pepper. Close the lid, bring it to boil.
5. Once boiled, turn the hob down to its lowest setting. Let it soak for about 5- 10 minutes.
6. Taste whether the bulgur is cooked. If it is soft enough, then switch the hob off, and let the food rest for ten minutes.